Frequently Asked Questions

  1. Do I need to schedule an appointment for advising?
    Advisors are available on a walk-in basis for quick questions (approximately 5 minutes per student) Monday through Friday from 9:00 am to 12:00 pm and 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. For matters that require more time, appointments can be scheduled via iLearn.

  2. How do I know which textbooks I need?
    Check in the bookstore (shelves are labeled by course number) or on-line (

  3. Where can I find faculty and TA office hours and contact information?
    They will be posted on the bulletin board in the Advising Resource Center next to PSYCH 1136. It may be two weeks into the quarter before these are posted. Faculty contact information is also available on this website.

  4. How do I sign up to conduct research?
    Contact the professor whose lab you would like to work in. If they accept you as a research assistant or are willing to sponsor your project, they will put you on their list of approved RAs. You will then be automatically enrolled by an academic advisor by the end of the 3rd week of the quarter.

  5. Can freshmen and sophomores enroll in PSYC 197?
    Yes! While PSYC 197 (upper division research) is open to juniors and seniors only, freshmen and sophomores can enroll in PSYC 096 (lower division research) for 1 or 2 units on S/NC grading basis.

  6. How do I declare the Psychology or Psychology/Law & Society major?
    Major changes are considered beginning Week 3 of the quarter.  Meet with an Academic Advisor during walk-in hours to complete the necessary paperwork and for information about major change criteria.  General criteria for admission into the Psychology and Psychology/Law & Society majors are as follows:

    PSYC 1 and 2 with grades of C- or better in each

    MATH 4, 5, or 8A with a grade of C- or better

    Good academic standing for two consecutive quartes prior to the major change

  7. Do I need a Ph.D. in psychology to get a higher-paying job?
    Not necessarily, although some kind of training beyond the bachelor's degree is generally required. The Ph.D. degree is primarily for those who want to conduct research or teach at a college or university.  Many UCR students who graduate with a B.A. in psychology secure internships in a variety of businesses which lead to high-paying careers. If you want advanced specialized training to prepare you further for the job market, consider a master's degree in a field such as business (MBA), I-O psychology, education (to become a teacher or educational counselor), social work (MSW), or marriage and family counseling/therapy.  Many California State University campuses have excellent master's programs.  Or consider law school, medical school, pharmacy school, dental school, or nursing school.